Nishtar Medical University (formerly Nishtar Medical College) is a public sector health sciences university located in Multan, Punjab, Pakistan. It is one of the oldest medical institutions established after the creation of Pakistan. It offers degree programs in medicine, dentistry and nursing. It is named after Sardar Abdur Rub Nishtar, Pakistan movement leader, and then Governor of Punjab, Pakistan.
Constituent colleges & programs offered
1. Nishtar Medical College
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS): a 5-year degree program.
Medical residency and fellowship training in different specialties of medicine and surgery in affiliation with College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan.
2. Nishtar Institute of Dentistry
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS): a 4-year program.
Residency and fellowship training in different specialties of dentistry in affiliation with College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan.
3. Nishtar College of Nursing
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN): a 4-year nursing degree program.
• The college was initially affiliated with University of the Punjab Lahore, the only university in Punjab at that time.
• In 1975 it became affiliated with Bahauddin Zakariya University, a newly formed university for South Punjab.
• In January 2003 it became affiliated with the University of Health Sciences, Lahore.
• In September 2017, college was upgraded to university status after the passage of
Nishtar Medical University Act by Provincial Assembly of Punjab.