Nestled in the serene setting of a beautiful countryside, Pakistan Institute of Engineering and Applied Sciences (PIEAS), Islamabad, is recognized as a preeminent federal public university devoted to higher education in specific disciplines of engineering, natural sciences and formal sciences. Although PIEAS offers BS, MS, MPhil and PhD degree programs, yet the postgraduate degree programs dominate. In addition to the degree programs, PIEAS also offers specialized short courses to engineers, scientists and other professionals for their continuing professional development. PIEAS highly qualified faculty matched with excellent infrastructure are instrumental in its endeavor to offer high quality education in the disciplines of engineering and applied sciences, fulfill national and regional requirements for highly qualified professionals and contribute to the welfare of humanity through education, research and development. The Institute has been ranked No. 1 for Engineering & Technology by the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Pakistan, in all the three rankings (2006, 2012, 2013) conducted so far.
It is the vision of PIEAS to be recognized at the national and international level as an Institute of academic excellence with high moral and ethical values, providing synergy between scientific research and technological development for national security and socio-economic benefits, encouraging and fostering an environment of mutual respect and free exchange of thoughts, where lack of resources on part of deserving students is not an impediment to acquiring quality education.
PIEAS is committed to excellence in science and engineering education. We seek to impart education in fields which are essential for the technological development of Pakistan and, in particular, to play a pioneering role in fostering the establishment of educational programs in newly emerging technological fields in the country. We accord the highest priority to meeting the current and future trained manpower needs of PAEC and other technical organizations.
We aim to provide a learning environment that fully stimulates the students’ intellectual capabilities and also nurtures their personal development as future technological leaders. We are committed to ensuring the highest quality in all our endeavours, encompassing teaching, research, skills and developmental activities through an effective overarching quality enhancement framework.
For the fulfilment of its mission, PIEAS will strive to achieve the following objectives:
• Maintain the highest ethical standards in all its academic activities.
• Create and sustain a programme of teaching / learning culture which is well organized, purposeful, progressive, and informed by modern scholarship.
• Keep the focus of all its academic offerings on meeting the trained manpower needs of the country in technological fields and, in particular, the specific needs of its strategic organizations.
• Ensure that curricula in all its academic programmes are kept updated with clear, explicit and appropriately demanding aims and objectives, which are realistically attainable and also meet the needs of students in terms of personal development as well as skills for employment.
• Provide for curriculum organization and delivery which encompass a range of effective methods of promoting high quality learning, with students having a variety of learning opportunities and experiences.
• Ensure that assessment methods are clear, explicit and consistent; are framed at the appropriate level and are effective in assessing achievement of defined subject aims and objectives.
• Maintain a process through which regular and systematic account is taken of student and external views in judgment of the curriculum, its delivery, and outcomes.
• Provide students with a learning environment which is fully supportive and responsive to their needs, and contributes effectively to the development of their leadership skills.
• Foster continuous improvement in the quality of teaching through faculty development programmes.
• Encourage active participation of faculty in research and other scholarly activities.
• Deploy means for procuring evidence of student, faculty, staff and employer satisfaction.
• Ensure staffing at all levels which is sufficient in number and quality to efficiently conduct all the offered programmes and meet all administrative needs.
• Establish and maintain an academic infra-structure which fully meets all the needs of the offered programmes.
• Establish and maintain an organizational framework based on a comprehensive, coherent and transparent set of regulations, with a clear delineation of responsibilities of individuals and bodies within the institution.
• Establish and maintain an identifiable, functioning framework within which the institution measures and evaluates success in meeting programme objectives and promotes quality enhancement of all its academic endeavours.