It was Friday, the 20th April, 1973 when people of Larkana witnessed an inauguration ceremony of Chandka Medical College. It was the fourth Medical College of the Province. This was the earnest need of upper Sindh. At the time of independence, there was only one Medical College in the province of Sindh i.e. Dow Medical College, Karachi. In 1951,an other Medical Institution in the of Sindh Medical School came into existence, which later on was converted to Liaquat Medical College, Jamshoro. As both the Medical Colleges were far from upper Sindh, Peoples Particularly the poor had difficulty to go a long way for treatment, so a need for a new college & hospital was long felt to
provide the health facility to the area deprived off in the past. Now this college provides facilities not only to upper Sindh but a large adjoining area of Balochistan province and also a part of lower Punjab.
“Chandka” was the old name Larkana, that was derived from Chandio tribute which is the oldest tribe residing in this areas. The college was established in a building, which already existed as Government Polytechnic Institute & D.C. High School Larkana, which were converted in to Chandka Medical College, with Prof. Ali Mohammad Ansari as 1st Principal & P.D. the building comprised of ground floor and 1st floor. On the ground floor, in the center there was an Auditorium Hall, with a capacity of 00 persons. The left side block was given to Anatomy and on top of it Physiology was established. On the right of Auditorium Hall, Administration Block was setup with Biochemistry and Girls common room on the top.
First Batch of 150 students was admitted in 1973. it was necessary to hostels to the students for which Polytechnic Institute Elementary Teachers Training College and Nursing hostel were utilized for boys & girls respectively. Second Batch of 250 students was admitted in 1974. due to shortage of accommodation as a result of increasing number of admissions, one four story girls hostel & two boys hostels were constructed,. Now it has six boys hostels and two girls which can accommodates about 1100 students.
In 1977, as student of first batch passed First Professional Examination, Pathology and Pharmacology Department were established in old polytechnic institute. Later on a second floor was constructed over Pathology Department to Establish Community Medicine and Forensic Medicine Departments. The new administration block, air conditioned library and two air conditioned lecture halls were also added increasing the total number of air conditioned lecture halls to four. Gigantic look is given by one thousand seated tall centrally air conditioned new auditorium hall in front of administration block. A Gymnasium Building for indoor games, mini stadium for out door games have also been completed and renovated. The work on central canteen is in progress.
Thousands of text books of latest editions on different subjects are available in the air conditioned library for students. Reference books are also made available for teaching staff. Almost Journals of all specially are also available. Besides this, full-fledged computer section with multimedia and internet facilities are available. Medical Education Hall has also been added to complete the PMDC requirement. In addition the facilities for postgraduate students have been added including library, reading room, CD Rom as the classes of postgraduate students have also been started. On clinical side, the already existing 150 bedded District head Quarter hospital was extended by constructing new blocks of medicine, ophthalmology and cardiology. Shaikh Zaid Women Hospital, and Paediatrics medicine and Surgical block have also been added. In order to meet the growing number of patients a need was felt for addition of 100 bedded extension block of Shaikh Zaid Women Hospital, there is a separate Institute of Nursing in the compound of this Hospital. The Children Hospital gives service to all the Paediatrics patients with all the facilities for emergency cases and neonatal care. Keeping in view the increased number of patients ailments of different field in children government of Sindh has announced the project of National Institute of Child Health, which is first ever project of Sindh government. Full fledged Urology Department has been established by the size of 302 bedded teaching hospital near college campus. It comprises of medical and surgical specialties beside lithotripter and dialysis facilities new casualty block with X-Rays facility and operation theater has been constructed along with new OPD building to complete the Chandka Medical College Hospital complex with total bed strength of 1200.
Radiology Department with X-Ray, Ultrasound, Colour Doopler facilities and modern laboratories with automatic analyzers are also available in different section of the Hospital. There are four Clinical Laborites. Amongst these, three laboratories at three hospitals give routine laboratory test facilities along with screening of blood. While fourth at college campus gives facility of special tests like, Biopsies, Bone Marrow Examinations, FNCs and Microbiology tests like centre of various biological fluid. Larkana institute of nuclear medicine and radiotherapy (LINAR) is working since the early days of establishment of the college.
The Chandka Medical College, is recognized by Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PMDC) and also by General Medicine Council (GMS) and LUMHS for FCPS, MD, M. Phil, MCPaS and various other diploma courses. The College Physicians & Surgeons has also established its regional center at CMC Larkana. CPSP, has started conducting FCPS-I, FCPS-II and MCPS Examination CMC, Larkana center since 1999. the results (Passing Percentage) of candidates appearing theory examinations is comparable with other centers of the country. Chandka Medical College has sufficient teaching staff. Apart from major fields there are consultants is minor specialties also, for example in Urology, Nephrology, Paediatrics Surgery, Neuro-Surgery and Dermatology.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. required fields are marked *