Punjab Medical Education and Relief Society with 100 founder members was formed in 1941 with the aims of Establishing a Medical College for Hindus only. Mrs. Balak Ram, daughter in Law of late Sir Ganga Ram and her son L. Sri Ram who were member of the society purchased a Bungalow occupied by Lala Har Kishan Lal at a cost of Rs. 2,30,000.00 at Queen’s Road to house Balak Ram Medical College. It started functioning in 1942, with a batch of 50 Students.
The BALAK Ram Medical College was fortunate in having as its first auxiliary the newly built Sir Ganga Ram Hospital Opposite the College building at the time of independence it had 125 beds.