The Department of Botany was established in 1958 with the late Professor Dr. N.A. Qazilbash as the founder Chairman and the sole teacher to shoulder all the teaching responsibilities. The premier class of M.Sc. Botany consisted of six students who graduated in 1960. The M.Sc. syllabi were revised during 1972, 1976, 1982 and 1999 to bring it at par with the recent developments in the subject to meet the call of the time. Research at M.Sc. level was introduced during 1972, Programme of Ph.D. was initiated during 1975. The present yearly in-take of M.Sc students is 50 each in morning and evening program. M.Phil/Ph.D. scholars are also admitted every year. The graduates are absorbed in education, forest, agriculture, plant protection, PCSIR, ministry of environment and various NGO’s.
To improve the quality of education and status of learning, teaching and research in the field of botany nationally and internationally.
The Department is committed to train students and scientists for the uplift of the community through teaching, research and participation.
Teaching, Research, Consultancy, Extension and Community welfare.